Building a ModelWorks 5700 Pannier Tank Engine in 5" Gauge

Kit 11:
Hand Pump, Water Tanks, Valance & Running Boards, and Cab
This takes longer to complete than Kit 10 and is surprisingly complex. On first inspection all the items in this Kit are again made to a high quality and tolerance.

The hand water pump was easy to assemble and when tested appears to very efficient. I still do not understand why I got in trouble for the water on the kitchen floor?

The water tank assemblies look simple and are simple; however they took a long time to assemble. I would like to see a change in the design of the hand water pump. During the assembly you are constantly reminded how good the tolerances are that ModelWorks work to and maintain throughout the build. Would you pre-drill the then bend the water tank outer wrapper and expect the holes to align with the pre-drilled holes on the inner tanks? No, this is against first engineering principles!

During the build and coming from a maintenance/engineering background, during the build I always am looking at the “what if I need to remove/repair that”. I have noted that should the water pump need to be removed for servicing the entire right-hand tank assembly will have to be un-assembled, because the pump is too large to remove via the opening provided on top of the water tank.

During the tank assembly you have to fit the first pieces of pipe work. The first is from the pump to a connector on the inner side of the right-hand tank, this pipe would be easier to fit if were shorter. The second pipe is very short and needs to be bent into an “S” shape to connect from the water tank to the top clack valve . This pipe is very difficult to shape correctly to avoid an interference fit with the boiler!

Noting how good ModelWorks are at pre-forming with tight tolerances other components (including the brass work), it's disappointing that the pipe work is not pre-formed or partially pre-formed. This omission is compounded by the lack of drawings or pictures showing you how to form the pipes.

 

Kit 11 - Water Tanks and Running Boards Assembled

Running boards were reasonably easy to assemble but again took longer than expected. Only one issue arose due to the supplying of two left-hand boards. Rather than bother ModelWorks for a replacement right-hand board the use of a counter sink soon converted left to right-hand. I have now realised since painting, that I will have to fill in six small holes on the right-hand board that are used to locate the spare lamp iron brackets fitted only to the left-hand board. I will just have to be careful with the paint brush.

The cab is easy to assemble, and I had only one problem with the bunker back plate, which had not been formed (bent) enough. The use of some 1” steel bar in a vice as a make shift former and a lot of elbow grease soon corrected this.

I have decided that the full finishing of the cab can wait until near the end of Kit 12. The reasoning being that the cab is best left off before completing Kit 12, the dummy rivets and foot steps are part of kit 12 and that the cab needs to be soldered. Once soldered, the cab will become a complete unit, that in the future can be very easily remove for maintenance of back head fittings and pipe work etc.

It needs to be pointed out that the shape of the opening in the cab sides is incorrect. I plan to change the shape as this involves removing metal. I will also solder edging (not supplied), to the side openings and bunker top.



ModelWorks Cab



Cab as per GWR Drawing

Also incorrect on the ModelWorks Cab are the form of the hand rails on the side and rear of the bunker. These I also plan to change. Considering these changes and the quantity or dummy rivets to be fitted etc plus painting, the man hours on the cab is going to very high.

 

The real thing - 3738 at Didcot 26/05/2003
Note the cab & lamp brackets on the running board

As part of their service ModelWorks supply cab side number plates to your choice of number. I have chosen 9659; why?

  • I was born in 1959 – Hence the xx59
  • The ModelWorks version of the 57xx represents one of the later (post mid 1930's) types
  • The earlier 96xx range were constricted in 1945/46 and most lasted until the mid 1960's
  • These 96xx could be painted in GWR Green or BR Black (early or late logo)
    • This gives some flexibly for modelling
  • There are quite a few preserved examples in the 96xx range
    • Good for research
  • 9659 was constructed in 1946 and scrapped in 1965
    • It never received early logo BR Black (was still in its original GWR green in January 1960!)
    • I am assuming that it did receive a new coat of paint before scrapping?
    • Does any one have pictures of this loco?

 

The only picture I have found of 9659

 

9659 - Old Oak Common 81A (home depot for most of its life) 10/01/1960

This picture I found on a very good web site and was not especially expensive. Have a look at the “Transport Treasury” section of the Irwell Press web site:
http://www.irwellpress.co.uk/TRANSPORT%20TREASURY/TTT%20lists.htm

Towards the end of the Kit 10 build I had to replace and fit stronger springs to the front axle. I have now had to fit stronger springs to the rear axle for the same reason. I suspect that further adjustment may be required.

 

Kit 11 - Assembled

As anticipated, kit 11 has taken longer to assemble that the previous kits. Partly due to the kit itself and as previously stated due to other commitments. Real life does have an impact sometimes.

Kit 12 will be undertaken whilst painting and finishing kit 11.

Read the Build Story by Kit:

Kit 1 Kit 2 Kit 3 Kit 4 Kit 5 Kit 6

 

Kit 7

 

Kit 8

 

Kit 9

 

Kit 10

 

 

 

Kit 12

Kit 12+

Introduction




Copyright © 2005 Whiteice.co.uk All Rights Reserved